Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fruit Leather or "Fruit Roll-Up" Recipe

A few years ago a friend of mine started to make her own fruit leather. It tasted OK, but I thought it was too thick and chewy.  Then last year I checked out the book The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery from the library and I came across her recipe for fruit leather.  I made a few changes to it and the result was amazing.  If you are about my age (close to 40) and remember what fruit roll-ups used to taste like, then you are in for a treat, because this is exactly what this recipe produces!



Fruit Leather

1 Pint Applesauce - I have even used crab-applesauce I canned after making crab-apple jelly and it wasn't too tart.
1/2 to 3/4 C. Fruit of your choice - I love it with strawberries from my garden
2 T. Sugar - Optional
Puree and then heat in saucepan to almost boiling.

Spray jelly roll pan with oil and pour the mixture onto the pan.  (I make two batches since my oven will be going almost all day.)  Bake at 170-180 degrees for about 6-8 hours. Check periodically and cut out what is done with a knife.


I store it in the fridge between sheets of plastic wrap and in a zip-lock bag, but this may not be necessary.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.

No comments:

Post a Comment