Saturday, August 24, 2013

Samurai Sams: Chicken, Carrots and Cabbage Stir-fry Recipe

When on vacation this summer the three families were each in charge of 2 meals.  I made kabobs and tacos.  One of the meals my husband's brother and wife made was a wonderful meal they called Samurai Sams.  They said they had a meal at a restaurant with that name and decided to try making it themselves.  With only 6 ingredients the result was truly amazing and I thought I better share it with you.

Ingredients for Samurai Sams:
Chicken
Cabbage
Carrots
Brown Sugar
Soy Sauce
Rice

My brother and sister-in-law used a whole chicken and cooked it in a crock pot with water, salt and pepper.  Instead of cooking a chicken all day I decided to use 3 frozen chicken breasts and boil them with salt, pepper and celery.  This took about 30 minutes and once done, I shredded the chicken.  Then I thinly sliced 3 peeled carrots and chopped half a cabbage.  


 


Next, in a sauce pan add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce and 1/4 cup water.  Bring to a boil and allow to simmer.

I know many people love their rice cookers, but my kitchen has limited space and I don't have room for another appliance.  I like to cook mine on the stove in a small pot.  Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add 1 cup of rinsed rice.  Stir, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and let cook for 18 minutes.  When done, fluff with a fork.





My sister-in-law cooked the chicken separately from the vegis, but in my quest to dirty as few pans as possible I fried all the ingredients together.

In a bit of oil fry the carrots for a few minutes until they become slightly tender.  Then add the cabbage and continue cooking.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Finally, add the chicken and cook until heated through.  Add more salt and pepper if needed.




In a bowl spoon the rice on one side and the chicken and vegi mixture on the other.  Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture over and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment