Thursday, December 12, 2013

Recipe for Homemade Beef Stew



In my opinion nothing is better on a cold day than a hearty bowl of stew and a few weeks ago I decided to make a pot.  I had an incredibly tough piece of beef and I figured a stew would be the best option.  



I cut the meat into 1" pieces and browned them up in some hot oil and seasoned with salt, pepper and minced garlic.  I actually forgot the meat for a few minutes.  Luckily it didn't burn, but browned much more than I usually would have let it and I think this was a wonderful oops as the stew had an amazing flavor.






The reason I forgot to watch my meat browning was I was busy chopping onions, celery and carrots.


I removed the browned meat, but left the drippings.


I then added the chopped vegis and let them saute in the drippings. 


Once the vegis were tender I added 3 peeled and cut potatoes, about 6 cups of water and 1-2 tablespoons of beef broth powder.  I also added the browned beef and let the stew simmer for about an hour.  I added a bit more salt and pepper for taste.




Before serving I mixed up some water with 2 tablespoons of corn starch and added it to the stew to thicken it.




And here is the finished product.  This truly was the best stew I have ever made.  I can't wait to cut up another tough piece of beef and create another mouthwatering meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment