Sunday, October 21, 2012

Freshly Ground Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Quite a few years ago a friend of mine brought me over a loaf of her homemade bread and I knew right then and there I needed to get the recipe and start baking, because it was amazing: it was probably the best bread I had ever had!  And then I found out why - she had a grain mill and ground her own wheat into flour.  I was a bit bummed because grain mills were (and still are by the way) expensive and we lived on an extremely tight budget.  So I began to save and about 12 months later I purchased one.

I am not sure where she got her bread recipe and if someone who reads this post knows the source please let me know so I can give them credit.  I hope you enjoy this bread as much as my family, friends and neighbors do.  I even have people trying to pay me to make it for them on a regular basis.  It really is that good.


Whole Wheat Bread
4 C. Hard Red Wheat Berries - grind it on your finest setting
2 C. Warm Water
1/2 C. Olive Oil
1/4 C. Molasses
1/4 C. Honey - I think clover is the best
1/3 C. Gluten
2 T. Lecithin Granules
1 T. Yeast
1-2 t. Salt

I first add the liquid ingredients and the yeast to my Kitchen Aid Mixer and let sit while the wheat is grinding.  Then I add the rest of the ingredients and let the mixer knead it until it forms a ball.  This is quite a sticky dough, but don't worry about that - do NOT add extra flour.  Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with a a moist towel and let rise in a warm oven for about 1-2 hours until it doubles.

Spray 2 large loaf pans or 6 small loaf pans with oil. Punch down the dough and form into loaves.  Let rise again in the warm oven until double: about 1 hour.  Be careful as this bread can fall.* Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake the large loaves for 30 minutes and the small for 25 minutes.  Let cool for about 1/2 hour and then transfer to a rack.  Store in zip-lock bags.
*(I never have good luck making it on a rainy day.  Don't ask me why, but every time it deflates.)

The first few days are the best, but even when it gets old just toast it slightly and it tastes almost as fresh as the day you baked it.  I have had this bread only mold on me a couple of times and that was in the middle of the hottest part of summer and it probably sat for more than a week.

Also, this bread makes the best grilled cheese ever. Even the pickiest of kids will eat it - I know I have some friends whose kids won't eat anything, but have eaten my grilled cheese.  I also think it is great for bread crumbs.  My favorite, though, is fresh from the oven with a bit of butter on it.  Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment