Wednesday, March 12, 2014

$50 Per Week Grocery Challenge: Week #49 & #50

How Much Did I Spend For Weeks #49 & #50?

I spent a whopping total of $145.36!!  The biggest factors in my spending was I purchased quite a bit of frozen chicken breasts, 12 lbs of butter and 1 gallon of olive oil. After 50 weeks of trying to stay under $50 per week I am still ahead by $168.58, but the last couple of months I have been spending slightly more than my target goal and this disappoints me a bit.  I suppose one reason is we are in the dead of winter and I do not have a garden to gather produce or a tree to pick fruit.  One other problem I see is inflation - prices are rising.  For example milk 50 weeks ago whole milk was $3.48 a gallon and the last time I purchased milk it was $4.00 per gallon.  And we are guzzling milk right now in our home.  We went through 9 gallons in 2 weeks.  So, unless we befriend a dairy farmer or a cow meanders into our yard, I must resign myself to the fact that I will be forking out at least $12-16 a week on just milk.  And I do not see a decline in my spending in the next weeks as I badly need hamburger.  But, to be honest for a family of 5 we have spent only $2,331.42 on food for almost 1 year.  I am sure there are families out there who have spent less, but I am proud to say we have kept within our budget.

Here is the breakdown for Week #49 and #50

Meat:  4 Packages of Chicken Breasts (3 lbs each) - $4.98 each, 2 Packages Imitation Crab - $1.48 each

Fruit and Vegetables:  Carrots - $1.79, Apples ($.88/lb) - $6.27, Bananas - $2.80, 5 lbs Frozen Strawberries - $8.98, Bananas - $1.36, Oranges ($.58/lb) - $3.05

Dairy:  2 Gallons of Milk  $3.81 each, Whipped Topping - $.88, 5 Packages of Cheese (8 oz each) - $1.28 each, 3 Gallons Milk - $3.79 each, 1 Gallon Milk - $3.89, 4 lbs Butter (3 packages) - $8.98 each, 3 Gallons Milk - $4.00 each

Misc.:  French Bread - $1.01 and another at $1.18, 2 Coffee Creamers - $2.48 each, 1 Gallon Olive Oil - $16.98, 20 Boxes Mac&Cheese - $.25 each



Meals we had this week:

Breakfast:  Homemade GranolaHomemade Grape Nuts, Oatmeal, Malt-O-Meal, Waffles or Toast.

Dinner:  Leftovers from supper or Sandwiches from my Freshly Ground Whole Wheat Bread and Yogurt

Supper:  

Sunday - Popcorn night and leftovers

Monday - Samurai Sams

Tuesday - Pizza

Wednesday - Spaghetti

Thursday - BBQ Chicken, Twice Baked Potato and Corn

Friday - Homemade Hamburger Helper and Green Beans

Saturday - Leftover night

Sunday - Spaghetti

Monday - Mac & Cheese with Sausage and Broccoli, Potato and Broccoli Soup and Popovers

Tuesday -  Seasoned Baked Chicken, Olive Bread and Vegis

Wednesday - Supper at Church for Lent

Thursday - Hot Dogs, Pasta Crab Salad and Seasoned Potatoes

Friday - Oven Fried Chicken, Potatoes and Vegis

Saturday - Leftovers

Desserts: 

Chocolate Cake, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Angel Food Cake with Strawberries and Cool Whip

No comments:

Post a Comment